Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Smiths

The Smiths

Here we are--two weeks closer to COT! Truth be told, I'm just a wee bit nervous. I always am going into new and unfamiliar territory. At the same time, however, I'm also really excited about all of this.

Southpoint kindly allowed me to have an Ordination/Commissioning Ceremony today. I hope no one thought I was just trying to have some attention. I just really thought it important that we be sent out by a local church and by our friends. I want that connection to a body of Christians, and I want my family to feel that as well. Hopefully, the girls especially will take away the idea that we are connected to a group of believers, and aren't striking out on our own here with no support. John Albers preached, and then, after Communion, he introduced me and what I was doing with the idea of being missional and GOING. After that, Joe Kendig swore me in (we both had our uniforms on--my USAF and his USN). It wasn't in any way official, but it was tons more meaningful! The girls and Jen then came up and put on my rank--upside down! It was pretty funny because most of the audience KNEW IT WAS WRONG, but they forgave me, although they laughed when I was corrected by a kid who had been in Jr. ROTC! After that, John, Joe, and Matt Hall (the pastor of Southpoint) prayed over me. It was really nice, and I appreciated being allowed to do that. Again, hopefully the girls will be able to look back on this day and sense the connection with our church and with our friends, several of whom (Tabets, Dardens, Holtzems, Delgados, etc.) were there.

No comments: