Monday, May 14, 2007

Conference Day #1

Interesting day today, with lots of good speakers, so I've enjoyed it thus far. Most of our speakers today were two and three-stars, and yet very down-to-earth. So, just a few key ideas, thoughts, and quotes for you to ponder:
a) Prince George's County, MD, has a higher murder rate than NYC;
b) On Jan 11, 2007, the Chinese successfully destroyed a defunct missile (thanks, Wikipedia) using an ASAT (anti-satellite)weapon, thereby causing a few people to go, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm";
c) At least two speakers emphasized (footstomped) the necessity of bringing the family along. One said, "If you reach the top of the [promotion] pyramid, and your family is not with you, you have failed." I have long been impressed by the AF's commitment to the family;
d) "Communication is the hardest thing we [as humans] do";
e) The amount of trade in the Pacific region of the world in 2005 was $1.1 trillion;
f) India is the world's largest democracy and the third largest Muslim country;
g) "People get kicked out for doing something stupid--it's either with the Government Travel Card or with the zipper."

I'm also always impressed with the admonitions of our top leaders to be humble, to work hard, to live core values, to care for your people, to remember that service, by definition, involves inconvenience. Not that the AF, by any means, is perfect, but I sometimes wonder if the military (and civilian corporations as well) do a better job of touting spiritual ideals and holding people accountable for those than other . . . . . . . . . . . . . . institutions do.

On another note, I played the Wii at the Kendig's house Sunday. It is really a neat system. One of the games was boxing (at which I beat the former reigning Kendig champion--Ashley), and I am surprised (and even chagrined) at how sore I am the next day--as if I'd had a major weightlifting session!

1 comment:

GoughRMAK said...

Sounds like some neat topics.

We have played the Wii as well. It was pretty fun. I enjoyed tennis, Mel really liked bowling, but I had a hard time with the boxing. Joe whooped me! I don't think I want to try against Ashley.

R:)